About Civil.ge
Eng | Geo | Rus
Last updated: 14:06 - 18 Mar.'18
Patarkatsishvili Family Calls on President to Act on Imedi
Civil Georgia, Tbilisi / 19 Nov.'08 / 13:59

Ina Gudavadze, a widow of the late tycoon Badri Patarkatsishvili, asked President Saakashvili to confirm commitment to the democratic values by deeds and help the Patarkatsishvili’s family in restoring its ownership rights over the Imedi TV and radio station.

The Patarkatsishvili family is in dispute over Imedi ownership with Joseph Kay, a distant relative of the late tycoon. In an open letter to the President, released on November 18, Gudavadze reiterates the family’s position that Kay took over the Imedi TV and radio station “through trickery and deception.”

Kay’s attorneys and representatives convened a news conference on November 18 denying the allegations and accusing the Patarkatsishvili family of staging libel campaign against Kay.

Kay said in March that he had bought shares in Imedi TV and radio from Gogi Jaoshvili “simply by paying money.” Jaoshvili, reportedly a former close friend of Patarkatsishvili's, owned 70% of JMG, a company with a 65% stake in I-Media, which has total ownership of Imedi TV and radio. According to papers submitted to the Georgian National Communications Commission (GNCC) by Imedi TV in December, the remaining 35% of I-Media shares are owned by Universal, a firm founded by three relatives of Patarkatsishvili's.

Ina Gudavadze writes in her open letter that although no public information is available about the authorities having link with Kay’s illegal ownership of the Imedi, but the television stations recent reporting, the letter says, suggest that Imedi TV “is no longer free of government censorship.”

Gudavadze has also denied recent media rumors about the Patarkatsishvili family having talks with the authorities, that would lead to hand over of the television station back to the family.

“We believe these groundless report are being circulated only to quiet public discontent on the eve of planned rallies supporting media freedom in Georgia.  In fact, as you well know, the questions surrounding Imedi TV remain unresolved,” the letter reads. “I am not a politician and I have no political ambitions.  But, I am not so naïve as to think that, given its political significance, Imedi will be returned to us without your instruction.  I ask, therefore, that you take this step now – openly and transparently.”

Latest News
18 Mar.'18 14:06
U.S. Navy Ship Makes Port Call in Batumi
The vessel will stay in Georgia until March 20.
17 Mar.'18 12:39
UK Ambassador to Georgia on Salisbury Incident
Justin McKenzie Smith on the British response to the Novichok nerve agent use in Salisbury.
16 Mar.'18 16:40
Majority, Opposition Lawmakers Agree on Russia Resolution
The Parliament of Georgia is to adopt the joint resolution next week.
16 Mar.'18 15:42
Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian, Turkish FMs Pledge Closer Ties
The quadrilateral format will strengthen regional cooperation, the Georgian Foreign Minister says.
16 Mar.'18 11:34
Georgian MFA: Crimea Annexation ‘Disregards’ International Law
The Foreign Ministry issued a statement regarding the four-year anniversary of Crimea annexation.
16 Mar.'18 11:30
SG Jens Stoltenberg on Georgia-NATO Relations
NATO Secretary General says he is impressed by reforms, readiness to engage in a dialogue with Russia.
15 Mar.'18 20:33
Opposition Parties Press Govt on Moscow Appeal
Twelve parliamentary and non-parliamentary opposition parties voice their concerns over PM’s dialogue offer. 
15 Mar.'18 17:04
Georgia, Sweden to Sign Convict Repatriation Deal
The interstate agreement will reportedly be concluded in two months time.
15 Mar.'18 01:16
Religious Leaders Concerned over Alleged Desecration of Catholic Symbols in Vale
Public Defender Nino Lomjaria called for a prompt and an effective investigation into the matter.
14 Mar.'18 19:37
Georgian President Visits Washington DC, Meets Lawmakers, Think Tank Community
Giorgi Margvelashvili met with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and a number of other U.S. legislators.

About Civil Georgia
Civil.Ge © 2001-2018, Daily News Online
Registered office: 2 Dolidze Str, 4-th Floor.