About Civil.ge
Eng | Geo | Rus
Last updated: 03:45 - 25 Nov.'17
RSS
Mobile
Twitter
Facebook
MoD Says it Used Cluster Bombs, but not in Populated Areas
Civil Georgia, Tbilisi / 1 Sep.'08 / 20:04

Although the Georgian Ministry of Defense has acknowledged using cluster bombs, it said they were not used in populated areas.

The Georgian MoD released a press statement on Monday evening after Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on September 1 that in a letter sent to HRW, the Georgian side had admitted to using cluster bombs in the vicinity of Roki Tunnel, linking breakaway South Ossetia with Russia.

“The Georgian armed forces have GRADLAR 160 multiple launch rocket systems and MK4 LAR 160 type (with M85 bomblets) rockets with a range of 45 kilometers,” the Georgian MoD said.

“These rockets were never used against civilians, civilian targets or civilian populated or nearby areas during the conflict with Russia, in the South Ossetian region or beyond. The GRADLAR system was used against Russian military equipment and armament moving from Roki Tunnel to Dzara road,” it said.

Bonnie Docherty, arms division researcher at HRW said on September 1, that M85 cluster munitions were discovered in Shindisi, a village outside breakaway South Ossetia, north of the town of Gori. Docherty said that while this could point to Russian use, Moscow was not known to have that particular make in its arsenal. She added that it was possible that the M85 munitions had been scattered about, having been hit in a Russian strike.

The Georgian MoD, however, said that there were no GRADLAR systems or rockets deployed in Shindisi at any time during the hostilities or afterwards.

“Shindisi was one of the last positions that the Georgian army held before the disengagement and complete withdrawal from the war theatre,” it said. “No GRADLAR launchers were destroyed during the war by enemy forces. Since the withdrawal of Georgian troops from Shindisi, the Georgian armed forces have not used artillery.” 

MoD also stressed that M85 dual-purpose bomblet’s unique self-destruction mechanism makes use of the munitions much safer.

“This important safety feature is designed to ensure that no armed duds will be left on the battlefield to endanger advancing friendly troops or civilian population,” it said.
 
It continued that the discovery of M85 bomblets in Shindisi raised a lot of suspicion, “especially if there are no signs of damage caused by these bomblets.”

“This fact demands proper investigation and the Georgian side is ready to participate in and provide all necessary assistance to conduct such an investigation. If needed for investigative purposes, we can provide the name of the [munitions] supplier company,” the Georgian MoD said. “We would like to receive some more information from, and examine the evidence in the possession of, HRW in this regard.”

Latest News
25 Nov.'17 03:45
Fire in Batumi Hotel Leaves Eleven Dead
Ten Georgian, one Iranian citizen dead, 21 hospitalized.
24 Nov.'17 22:05
Terrorism Suspect Sentenced to Pretrial Detention
Georgian authorities arrested the suspect on November 21.  
24 Nov.'17 17:14
PM Kvirikashvili Meets EU Leaders in Brussels
Giorgi Kvirikashvili is attending the fifth Eastern Partnership Summit.
24 Nov.'17 15:22
President Margvelashvili on Anti-Terrorist Operation
The President reiterated his criticism of the government for its decision to abolish the National Security Council.
24 Nov.'17 13:11
Georgia in EPP Declaration for Eastern Partnership Summit
The European People’s Party held its Sixth EPP Eastern Partnership Leaders Meeting on November 23.
24 Nov.'17 10:56
Eastern Partnership Summit: Country Expectations
Foreign Ministries of Armenia, Azerbaijan, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine on their Summit expectations.
23 Nov.'17 17:08
Prime Minister, Security Service Chief on Anti-Terrorist Operation in Tbilisi
Head of the State Security Service says “a serious group” committed a terrorist act against Georgia.
23 Nov.'17 11:49
Court Denies Refugee Status for Turkish Citizen
The court rejected Mustafa Emre Çabuk’s lawsuit against the Ministry of Refugees.
22 Nov.'17 19:13
Three Suspects Dead as Anti-Terrorist Operation Ends
The State Security Service reiterated that the suspects were foreign citizens.
22 Nov.'17 18:22
Anti-Terrorist Operation Over
The status of the suspects still remains unclear.

About Civil Georgia
Civil.Ge © 2001-2017, Daily News Online
Registered office: 2 Dolidze Str, 4-th Floor.
103