The Georgian Ministry of Defense said reports about the downing of two Georgian unmanned reconnaissance drones over Abkhazia on Sunday were “misinformation” aimed at “distracting the international community’s attention” from the April 20 incident when a Russian MIG-29 shot down a Georgian drone.
The Georgian Ministry of Defense said an international group of experts had already completed an investigation into the circumstances of the April 20 downing and “the report is due to be released in the nearest future.”
According to the Georgian Foreign Ministry, experts from the Baltic states and the U.S. were part of the group.
The Georgian Ministry of Defense said that another international group of experts would conduct a separate probe into the matter on May 5.
Georgia says the footage from the drone’s on-board camera showing a fighter jet, with twin-tail markings, shooting down the Georgian drone, was “incontrovertible evidence” proving that a Russian MIG-29 was involved in the attack. Russia, however, denies the allegation, saying the footage was fabricated.