Source: Georgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
We, the President of Georgia, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Prime Minister of the Republic of Turkey have gathered in Tbilisi to celebrate a new stage of intensified cooperation among our countries.
Recognizing the significance of this meeting for the shared interest of our nations and the entire region,
Realizing that our presence today demonstrates our commitment to facilitate economic growth, democratization, and security in region and Europe at large through multilateral cooperation,
Reconfirming our commitment to the provisions and principles of the European Energy Charter Treaty,
Considering the importance of our region’s crucial location in Eurasia,
Confirming our common desire and readiness to cooperate closely with all our neighbors based on the principles of good neighborhood, respect of sovereignty, territorial integrity and inviolability of internationally recognized borders,
Acknowledging that through our cooperation and efforts we have already demonstrated our ability and commitment to assist each other in overcoming challenges,
Taking into account the growing role of regional initiatives in developing positive trends worldwide,
Sharing the understanding that intensified regional cooperation and economic growth will significantly contribute to peaceful settlement of existing conflicts in the region, stability, democratic development and the prosperity of our nations,
Emphasizing our determination to work closely towards the development of bilateral and multilateral interaction in various spheres of cooperation,
Confirming Turkey’s significant role as a negotiating country to the EU for further enhancing the cooperation between the region and the EU,
Stressing the importance of successful implementation of the European Neighborhood Policy Action Plan of Azerbaijan and the European Neighborhood Policy Action Plan of Georgia for the region in terms of bringing it closer to the EU,
Considering further development of the East-West Energy and Transport Corridor as a basis of regional cooperation,
Have declared the following:
1. Today we celebrate the commencement of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars "Silk Road” Railway project of geo-strategic importance. The realization of this project represents one more step in further intensifying and expanding our cooperation as well as opens new global opportunities. By doing so, we are complementing the existing transport connections and contributing to safer and more rapid transportation of goods and passengers between Europe and Asia.
2. With three successful energy infrastructure projects, the Baku-Supsa export oil pipeline; Heydar Aliyev Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) export oil pipeline; and the South Caucasus gas pipeline (Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum) our cooperation has established a vital and secure new source of energy for Europe, increasing the importance of the Black and Caspian Sea regions and entrusting it a significant role by contributing to the European and wider global energy security.
3. Together, we agree to establish long-term and predictable mechanisms that ensure the energy security of all three nations through the reliable, timely and commercially based provision of gas and electricity based on the infrastructure projects referenced herein. Taking into consideration the energy needs of our countries we appreciate the start of exploitation of Shahdeniz gas condensed field located in the Azerbaijan sector of the Caspian Sea. We agree to continue to cooperate in order to meet mutual needs for reliable and sustainable gas supplies.
4. We agree to support construction of a new electricity transmission line from the Republic of Azerbaijan through the territory of Georgia to the Republic of Turkey, as well as other appropriate projects, which will enhance electricity exchange between the Parties in future.
5. Working alongside with interested countries we envisage the expansion of our cooperation to encompass the Black Sea and Caspian Sea. We believe this approach will further enhance energy security and contribute to greater prosperity in the region.
6. We believe that implementation of these projects, and more to be implemented in the future, will create the infrastructure for economic growth and long-term security of the region.
7. We express our readiness to further support the establishment of multilateral cooperation that will ensure equal competitive conditions, on the basis of diversification of supply sources, transit routes and consumption markets.
8. We support active cooperation in multilateral formats, through regional organizations and projects that further increase and promote peace, stability and prosperity in the region and in wider Europe.
9. We attach importance to the further steps, which will facilitate the movement of people, goods, capital and services, as a way of fostering regional cooperation that would also contribute to the strengthening of ties with Europe.
10. Looking to the future, we share a commitment to tangible and commercially sustainable cooperation based on the principles of free market economy and the common European values and experiences as an important leverage for promotion of regional stability and security.
11. We express our belief that intensified cooperation of this nature will enhance the ability of our countries to strengthen the security in the region which will also have a positive impact on Europe.
12. We will continue to deepen cooperation with new activities and investments. To this end, we have created a joint Working Group to examine and recommend further action.
13. To contribute to the common perspectives of the region we invite our neighbors to consider joining our efforts.
14. We express our gratitude to the Government and people of Georgia for the warm hospitality and excellent organization of this Meeting.
15. Done in Tbilisi, on 7th February 2007, in English, in three copies, all of them are equally authentic.